Case Studies2018-12-11T09:07:23+00:00

Case Studies

Case Study 1

Block A is a large Victorian Mansion Block development with five blocks and a total of 70 flats.  The previous managing agent had not produced or filed the company accounts for three years and had collected £450k for a major works project but not started the work.  There were major problems with the communal hot water system and the leaseholders were worried that the money had been misappropriated.

Within a year, we had managed to produce all the overdue accounts, solve the hot water issues, had the trees cut in the courtyard, and even more importantly, the major works project was underway having undergone a full Section 20 Notice procedure with full tenders received.

Two years later (Oct 2017) and the major works project (total budget of £750,000) came in on time and on budget (well actually it was over by £187!) so everyone is delighted.

We have now had a full Fire Risk Assessment carried out and we will are working with the board to phase the works.

 

Case Study 3

Block C is a series of large Victorian Mansion blocks on the edge of Hammersmith Bridge.  We now manage two of the blocks with 20 flats.  Again the buildings had not had any TLC for many years.  The internal communal areas were extremely shabby and there was no emergency lighting.  Because the managing agent had already carried out the Section 2o Notice procedure, we actually project managed the work even before we took over by having them transfer the funds to us.  So even before we were officially managing the blocks, they looked wonderful:  still in keeping with the Victorian Mansion block style.  We are now working on a ten year rolling maintenance plan to ensure that the buildings don’t fall into disrepair and there is no bill shock for leaseholders.

Case Study 5

Block E is a small block of 8 flats and 4 shops built around 1900. When we became involved, there was a crisis. Works intended to take 6 months had dragged on for over 2 years, with scaffolding covering the front of the building; there was deadlock between the residents and the managing agent; the builder had walked off site; 2 residents and all 4 shops were refusing to pay service charges; and one shop-owner was threatening to sue the freeholder for prolonged disruption to trade. Oh, and there was no money in the building kitty.

Within 18 months, not only were the works concluded, but service charges had been brought up to date, the residents were happy with the running of the building and the freehold company had enough funds to meet its liabilities. This was done without any additional levy on residents – we brought down insurance premiums, shared the commission, collected outstanding debts, and cut unnecessary admin costs. After another two years, and a modest increase in annual service charges, a sinking fund was built and today, thanks to a programme of staged improvement, we are most of the way to bringing the whole building up to a very high standard.

Case Study 2

Estate B is a luxury development of four houses on the edge of Hampstead Heath.  Each detached house is worth in excess of £8m and is connected via a communal underground garage and gardens. There is a communal heating and cooling system managed by way of a plant room in the basement.   When we became involved there had been excessive expenditure but no work actually carried out.  The gardens were looking extremely shabby, the driveways were full of moss and were dangerous to walk on and the whole development looked very sorry for itself:  not what you would expect for a luxury development.  Furthermore, there is a hut with guards, offering 24/7 Security but the CCTV cameras were not infrared and the lighting in the grounds at night didn’t work, so that the security guards themselves were afraid of being attacked.

In the first year, we sorted the gardens, the fountains and ponds, the external lighting and the intercoms among other key areas.  Two years on and we have upgraded the CCTV so that at night the security team can actually see properly and the expenses have been cut hugely.  We are now working on a resolution for the leaks to the garage from the gardens above  and will be instructing a surveyor as we have found that the area was actually built as a roof, but the asphalt is failing.  Again we have happy customers as they can see we are taking care of the estate effectively.

Case Study 4

Building D is a Victorian Terrace conversion of five flats.  The building was so badly neglected that when we took over water was leaking into the top flat extremely badly.  The building has now had a complete new roof and a face lift around the front door area.  The leaseholders had to raise quite a lot to fund the above, but we are now including a steady amount as a reserve fund to ensure a rolling calendar of maintenance.

Case Study 6

Estate F is a fifteen year old development of three blocks with 18 flats in total. For years it had been managed by an owner/occupier who collected the service charge but then, due to work commitments, didn’t file the accounts, only paid the communal electricity bills, hired a bad cleaner and paid no attention to the requirements of the lease regarding refurbishment of internal and external areas.  Again, no proper building management.